Krita is a creative sketching and painting application based on KOffice technology, offering an end-to-end solution for creating digital painting files from scratch by masters. Fields of painting that Krita explicitly supports are concept art, creation of comics and textures for rendering. Modelled on existing real-world painting materials and workflows, Krita supports creative working by getting out of the way and with snappy response.
Krita provides an OpenGL based canvas in addition to an unaccelerated canvas. Krita’s filters, histogram computation and image recomposion are multi-threaded and make use of multiple cores if available. The effect of filters is previewed on-canvas.
- support a variety of file formats
- color models – supports different channel depths, from 8 bits integer to 32 bits floating point per channel
- supports both layers and masks
- includes several types of tools: vector tools, raster tools, guidance tools, canvas tools and selection tools
- supports brush engine plugins
- provides filters that can be used directly
Krita is a part of KOffice and based on KOffice technologies.Â Latest stable full-featured version of KOffice available for download is KOffice 1.6.3 aimed at at end users, for use with KDE3 and Qt3.